• Advertisement

BUILDING AND RECONSTRUCTION WORK IN OLD TOWN ALBUFEIRA

Moderator: cubsur

BUILDING AND RECONSTRUCTION WORK IN OLD TOWN ALBUFEIRA

Postby cubsur » Sat Apr 19, 2008 6:07 am

There is an ongoing programme of civic improvement work taking place in the old town area of Albufeira. Work is for the most part suspended during the main holiday season from 1st June to 30th September but outside that period visitors can expect some disruption.

In October work will start on the installing of new drains, sewers and water mains in certain areas, including the Rua 5 Outubro (The road leading to the tunnel under the Sol e Mar) and also 'Bar Street'. Inevitably this will mean some streets will be closed or passable only with difficulty. Some bars and restaurants will be unable to open.

This replicates the situation we had in other parts of town during 2006 and early 2007.

The work is essential as the ancient underground pipes can no longer deal with the volume of waste water, as those who have been here when it rains hard will testify.

A new set of escalators has replaced the steps up the cliff near the pier. At the other end of the beach, near the rock pinnacle, a lift/elevator is being installed. Progress on that is painfully slow and when it will be completed, who knows?

Please visit my personal webspace at http://thomasallen.spaces.live.com and keep up to date. I post photos and reports on all of this every couple of weeks.

You will be pleased to know that the beaches are unaffected.

In addition there are other building sites around town especially on the fringes, where every available inch of green space is being built over to provide more hotels. I advise you to check that your hotel isn't next to a construction site!
www.algarvebus.info

Bus and train timetables in English for the Algarve
cubsur
Resident Expert

Advertisement

Return to Albufeira - General chat & Questions